23 March 2011

Audiobooks and Me

I have to admit, I'm not a huge music fan. I like music but if I'm out for a walk or doing the dishes or driving I don't put The Cure, Dave Matthews, or Jimi Hendrix on my iPod; I listen to audiobooks. I like music; I love audiobooks. They entertain me, they let me "read" when I'm doing other things, they are a portable companion. So are books, but you can't read a book while you're folding laundry or at the gym (not that I ever go there, I'm just saying).

What I've discovered though is that not all audiobooks are created equal. With audiobooks it's all about the narrator. A terrible narrator can ruin even the most well-crafted of tales and a great narrator can draw me into a story I may not have had much interest in. Authors put a lot of faith into that narrator when they agree to have their books recorded.

Because I enjoy listening to audiobooks so much, I spend a lot of time thinking about what makes a book (and its audio version) great, or not so great. This blog is my way of reflecting on what I'm reading and processing my thoughts about audiobooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment